10 Reasons Your Home May Not Have Sold (Yet)
It SEEMS like everyone else for sale is posting SOLD. Yet your house sits on the market and the clock ticks. Frustrating isn't it? You just want to get on to the next chapter in your life, but you can't!
So what's holding you back? It can be any one thing, or a combination of things. Some can be fixed, some can't. Some might be your listing agent's fault, and you may not like this, but some are YOUR fault! So let's get to the 10 reasons your home may not have sold yet!
1. Inadequate MLS coverage. We work in a TWO MLS area (Cincinnati and Dayton). So what do we see time and again as we work in the area halfway between the two? Homes listed in ONLY one of the two MLS. End result, you don't exist on MANY websites. Agents don't see you, you're not on a ton of search websites, you just don't exist as far as the buyers are concerned.
2. Your internet presence is terrible. If you're not on the major websites, you're missing a lot of the buyers. Some agents may totally hate Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com and other syndication sites, but fact is buyers like them and if your home isn't well represented on those sites you just may be missing your home's buyer.
3. Errors in presentation. In the day of automated home searches, a typo can be a killer! We see homes with the number of garage spaces left off, acreage not reported, the wrong number of bedrooms, etc. Guess what? You're invisible again!
4. You're overpriced for what you're offering. Are you REALLY listening when your agent shows you SOLD prices for similar homes? Don't go with your gut, go with the FACTS.
5. Curb appeal. Some houses have it, some don't. The good news is this is something you can work on. Some landscaping touches, paint as needed, etc., and you just may be able to take BLAH to #1 on a buyer's list.
6. You've got a "funky" lot. Next to a major road? Power lines? Retention pond? Itty bitty back yard? Next door neighbor's yard looks like a junkyard? Patience or price, or both, will be needed to get your home sold.
7. Your home stinks. Literally. Cats and dogs gone wild? Miss Scratchy and Piddles making it well known they live in your home? Your showings will be brief unless the buyer suffered a horrible industrial accident that destroyed his olfactory capabilities. We love our pets too, but you HAVE to address odors to sell. And if your own nose is dead to it, bring in a trusted friend and have them tell you the truth about your home.
8. You've got a condition issue. Maybe your home isn't updated. Maybe you've got wood rot around the front door frame. Floors squeak? Roof looking worn? Furnace was installed in the 1960s? Basement looks like the next rain is going to provide an indoor pool? Buyers run when they see these things.
9. Community reputation. Face it, some towns and cities are more sought after than others. So are some subdivisions. So be careful setting expectations for your home's sale against places in high demand.
10. New construction is kicking your butt. The builders are back, and if you're trying to sell a similar home at the same price (or more) than the builders, you're going to lose that fight.
BONUS: Your home's online pictures look like they were taken by Mr. Magoo.
And the reality is, NONE of these things may be an issue and your home would still not sell. It could be another factor (there are more we didn't cover), or you just need more patience because your buyer is out there, they just can't write a contract YET!
Serving Warren County area home sellers,
Liz and Bill aka BLiz
Serving Warren County Ohio & Adjacent Areas
The Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite
Elizabeth Spear, ABR, CRS, Ohio License SAL.2002007747
William (Bill) Spear, CRS, Ohio License SAL.2004011109 Kentucky 77938
Ask for us by name if you visit the office!
Two locations: Lebanon & Mason, OH
Bill Direct: 513-520-5305
Liz Direct: 513-265-3004
Search Homes: Https://WarrenCountyOhioRealEstate.com
Our Website: www.LizTour.com
OUR SERVICE AREA:
View Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite Primary Service Area in a larger map