Continued from Lessons from Annapolis: Part 1 posted on November 15th.
The most important lessons I learned there had nothing to do with dates and places, but more about hows and whys that still continue into my daily life 25 years later. Here's a few more of the tidbits, in no particular order of importance.
- Travel! I was very fortunate in that my two training cruises both took me to Europe. We all need to travel outside our country's borders at some point. Find out how young our country is, how much history there is, the differences in culture, that despite how great the U.S. (and Canada) are, we're actually NOT the center of the universe. Travel gives you understanding of just how blessed we are, and the other neat thing since real estate is a very diverse business. Travel helps you relate to your clients!
- Your word has to be EVERYTHING! You're probably familiar that the service academies have an Honor Code. Can't lie, cheat or steal, or suffer the severe consequences. That carries over to life long after graduation. If you don't have integrity, is anything you have worth a dime? Can you look at yourself in the mirror and not hate what you see? Be honest with your clients, look out for their best interests and you can't lose.
- True Friendships last forever! There are classmates I may go decades between conversations and visits, but when we do meet up again, it's just like yesterday and no time has passed. Common experiences bond you and nothing can sever that relationship. Build strong bonds with your clients, and no one else can ever come between you. And who knows what may happen during college, you just might meet your future wife and still be married over 25 years later :)
- Prioritize! Plebe year, lights out at 10 pm, 11 pm with special permission. You had to be able to prioritize your work, be efficient with your studies. Few things are more applicable to our daily lives! Know what is important and get it done! Rule extension: Don't assume that "free time" in tomorrow's schedule will still be there tomorrow! Tires go flat, emergencies happen... do the essentials so you're ready for the unexpected!
- There's a reward for the hard work! Annapolis isn't all fun and games, but you knew that, didn't you? We worked hard...it wasn't college as most people know it. A little liberty on the weekends to have a little fun in town, some time off in the summers when we weren't on training assignments. Real estate has the same system, invest your time up front for a deferred reward. You have to prospect, attract and keep clients, sell that home, help someone buy a home, keep training yourself, keep blogging, but there's reward both emotional and financial at the end. Keep pushing!
Okay, that's enough for another post! But that's still NOT ALL I learned in four years by the Bay! :) Back for another edition another day!
Bill of Liz and Bill aka BLiz
REALTORS(S) Serving Warren County Ohio & Adjacent Areas
The Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite
Elizabeth & William Spear
Ask for us by name if you visit the office!
Two locations: Lebanon & Mason, OH
Direct #2: 513-265-3004
Our Website: www.LizTour.com
OUR SERVICE AREA:
View Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite Primary Service Area in a larger map