Continued from Lessons from Annapolis: Part 1 posted on November 15th and Part 2 November 16th. This will wrap up the series!
The most important lessons I learned there had nothing to do with dates and places, but more about hows and whys that still continue into my daily life 25 years later. Here's the last of the tidbits, in no particular order of importance.
- Train! In the military, we drill repeatedly. You develop proficiency with practice. You learn new skills with practice! You go to the experts and learn. Same in real estate! Active Rain is populated with subject matter experts. Read, learn, put it into practice and grow your business!
- Life isn't FAIR! Actually learned that well before Annapolis, but the lesson was firmly reinforced. You think you're going to get a few hours off and some upperclassman ransacks your room just before the free time? Call 1-800-Waaah! Get over it, clean up the mess and hope you still have free time left. This wasn't pure meanness, but a lesson in keeping your mental state right. In real estate, lots of unfair things that you can wrap yourself around. I SHOULD have gotten that listing! WHY did that buyer ditch me after showing them 30 homes? We don't always get what we want or deserve, but you better get moving again or lost opportunities will multiply the problem.
- Keep your gear ready to go! You don't have to have the latest equipment, but what you have needs to be functional and ready to use! Real estate is the same way, I don't have to have the latest lap top or smart phone, but they better be functional and they better be backed up regularly! Speaking of which....
- Be prepared for failure! Gizmos are great, but they fail, and at the worst possible time! In the Navy, we have electronic navigation systems, but we also have specialists in maps and star navigation. Don't be so dependent on your tech equipment that you can't function without them. Know where you're going, have a paper contract set in your car...just in case!
- Plan, ACT & ADJUST! You can go into analysis paralysis if you wait until EVERY last piece of data is available to you. Do due diligence, and then ACT with the best possible information available to you. THEN adjust if you need to as new information becomes available. We can wait forever for the last piece of data to come into focus, but by then market conditions have passed you by. Get your blog posts out and adjust to fit your market. Mail your postcards and adjust if they don't work as desired.
- Appearance matters! This one is pretty obvious, isn't it? When you're in the military, you need to look sharp in your uniform at all times. Go too far and you'll find yourself marching punishment tours while everyone else is out in town having a good time! You're representing FAR more than yourself! Real estate is the same way, first impressions are decided from your marketing pictures and your own appearance. Make it count on your behalf! Because you know what happens every time you go to the store after not shaving for three days & wearing grubby clothes from yard work? You meet someone you know EVERY time!
Okay, that wraps up the series! We hope you found the lessons helpful!
Bill of Liz and Bill aka BLiz
REALTORS(S) Serving Warren County Ohio & Adjacent Areas
The Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite
Elizabeth Spear, ABR, CRS
William (Bill) Spear, CRS
Ask for us by name if you visit the office!
Two locations: Lebanon & Mason, OH
Direct #2: 513-265-3004
Search Homes: Http://WarrenCountyOhioRealEstate.com
Our Website: www.LizTour.com
OUR SERVICE AREA:
View Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite Primary Service Area in a larger map