This morning on Patricia Kennedy's Featured Post, Claudette Millette brought up one of our least favorite buyer's agent questions: "Why Are They Moving?".
We work primarily as listing agents and if there's one question we're not big fans of, it's that one!
It translates loosely to, "Dear Listing Agent, please give me some good dirt that I can leverage against your clients IF my buyers decide to proceed on your home."!
The real story behind why they are moving COULD be really damaging to our seller's negotiating position (relocation, divorce, death in the family, loss of job), other reasons might be less damaging (they're now empty nesters and don't need a FIVE bedroom home), but either way, the reasons shouldn't really be relevant to the buyers proceeding IF they like the home.
What you want to know and will only find out via an offer:
- Will they accept our offering price? Other items like closing/possession dates? We can discuss rather readily with our sellers and you.
So our typical response to "Why are they moving?" will be a cheery "Because they want to." It's generic, doesn't hurt our seller's position, and hopefully not perceived as rude. Most other responses would be negligent on our part and we hope you understand!
But if you prefer, please substitute any of the following responses as you deem fit:
- The Biker Gang two doors down makes fun of him when the seller goes by on his Vesta!
- The voices in his head told him "GET OUT! GET OUT NOW!"
- The home IS on top of an ancient burial ground and Stephen King has been inquiring about recent events for a new novel!
- The next door neighbor's dog is the spawn of the Underworld and makes every waking moment a torment! And sleep? Don't even think about it!
- The next door neighbor is a former 500 pound sumo wrestler, AND a nudist!
- The next door neighbor's teenager has a speed metal garage band. 'Nuf said!
- The ghosts in their home keeps rearranging the furniture! At first they thought it was our home stager, but she hasn't been there in two weeks!
- We're DOWNWIND from the local landfill and Glade doesn't make an industrial strength air freshener that helps!
We'd love to do a deal with you and happy to answer any property questions we can, but the motivation question? No can do!
Hope your weekend is off to a fantastic start!
Liz & Bill
Serving Warren County Ohio & Adjacent Areas
The Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite
Elizabeth Spear, ABR, CRS
William (Bill) Spear, CRS
Ask for us by name if you visit the office!
Two locations: Lebanon & Mason, OH
Direct #2: 513-265-3004
Search Homes: Http://WarrenCountyOhioRealEstate.com
Our Website: www.LizTour.com
OUR SERVICE AREA:
View Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite Primary Service Area in a larger map