Dear Home Seller, some important things to know that your home’s potential buyer doesn’t care about: (in no particular order)
• That you paid more than you’re asking now and have to bring money to closing! They only care about market value and getting a great deal.
• When/if it’s time for an offer, they don’t care about your feelings! This market has created a “no shame” environment. They’ll offer what they want, ask for what they want, and threaten to walk in a heartbeat if they’re not getting it! When the consumer magazines recommend offering 10-15% below list price to start, they’ll do it without regard to how fairly your home is already priced. Hopefully their agent knows how to run the comparables and determine appropriate value, but don’t count on this either.
• They don’t care that you have a personal life! They just want to get into your house when it’s convenient to them. If not, “Next”!
• Along the same lines, they also don’t care if their agent gives you 15 minutes or 24 hours notice! Think their agent will tell them he/she didn’t get around to scheduling the appointment until the last minute? Guess again! They just know they couldn’t get in, and guess who’s taking the blame?
• They don’t care that you have to get four kids out the door every morning before leaving for work! They want to see the house neat and orderly, and that underwear on the floor WILL get talked about.
• They don’t care that you LOVE your furry pets, no matter what the species! Animal smells will chase buyers out of your home in a hurry, and no agent likes the challenge of keeping your lightning fast feline inside the house when it wants to get out the door as quick as it’s cracked open. And those little “presents” your dog leaves on the garage or basement floor? HUGE turn off! If you don’t keep that controlled, what other home maintenance is being neglected?
• They don’t care that you love that super dark burgundy color, or that really expensive wallpaper, or that your teenager likes black walls! They only see it as more work for them when they move in. You MAY get lucky on this one as some buyers have imagination and don’t mind the work, but don’t count on it! P.S. They also don’t like your Michigan Wolverines or Florida Gators paint schemes in the basement when you’re in Ohio State country!
• They don’t care that your agent (or you) can’t take great pictures of your home! You want visitors, first they’ve got to like the looks of your home on-line. No pictures of the inside? What’s WRONG with that one? P.S. Liz takes GREAT pictures!
• They don’t care that you don’t have time for yard work and home maintenance! Your initial curb appeal is critical to getting the warm feeling going from the start. Wood rot on the entry door frame? Door need painted? Spider webs in the entrance? Fix it BEFORE your first potential buyer shows up!
• That you LOVE the smell of vanilla, or French Country Baker’s Delight Irish Coffee Potpourri Wall Plug-in’s with Super High Powered Vaporization coils! Overpowering smells either activate their kid’s asthma, or makes them wonder what other smell you’re trying to hide.
• That you NEED the oversized sofa, loveseat, two recliners and three end tables in the family room to live! What they see is a VERY small feeling room. A home stager can help you with this. P.S. Liz is also a stager!
•·That you LOVE your 433 piece Precious Moments collection, or your 16 autographed jerseys! For your buyers it's a distraction that deflects their focus from the home. (Just like your diplomas and all the other personal items that you leave out that let them get to know more about you. Work for a company having lay-offs? Might not want to leave any obvious indicators out!)
For more advice on what buyers DO and DON'T care about and how to minimize your hassle when selling a home, please contact The Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite! We'll be happy to help you!
REALTORS(S) Serving Warren County Ohio & Adjacent Areas
The Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite
Elizabeth & William Spear
Ask for us by name if you visit the office!
Two locations: Lebanon & Mason, OH
Liz direct: 513-265-3004
Bill direct: 513-520-5305
Our Website: www.LizTour.com
OUR SERVICE AREA:
View Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite Primary Service Area in a larger map