Why Do Buyer's Agents Give Me Such Short Notice For A Showing?
We know you said that we'd get some short notice requests for showings when we listed our house, but we didn't expect it to be this big a proportion! What's going on with the buyers that they can't give us more notice? It's a hassle loading up the kids and pets at the last minute!
Patience Is Dwindling
We know it's frustrating, and if some agent tries to schedule a showing with about 15 minutes of notice, they're really pushing the boundaries of polite behavior and you're totally within your rights to decline the showing. That said, you just never know when "The One" will show up!
We discussed when we listed why a 24 hour notice requirement creates a less than welcoming perception in the buyer's eyes. That said, the hope is that most agents and their buyers will give you at least a morning's worth of notice!
But quite a few things can happen to give you short notice showing requests:
- The buyers "added one" to the list that they had discussed with their agent, and your home is that one. Chances are if you're a last minute addition, something about your home DIDN'T match the criteria for the buyer's Must Haves initially. Location, price, etc. So they've either changed their minds because your home looks appealing to them, OR they're looking at another home in the neighborhood and decided they wanted to see yours too without regard to criteria. In general, these showings DON'T usually give you the buyer you're waiting on, but it CAN (been there, done that!). Sometimes the buyers bump up the price they're willing to pay, and suddenly you're now in their window of possibility.
- The buyers are "pop ups". They haven't been working with an agent, they either found your home online (odds are good, we do a LOT of Internet marketing), or they were cruising the neighborhood, called an agent and asked for a showing RIGHT NOW. The odds are this buyer MAY not have done the whole loan preapproval process yet, but they MAY also turn out to be serious. It's a roll of the dice.
- We'll say it. It's the agent's fault. It happens. The buyer's agent just wasn't organized or had time conflicts that got in the way. Perhaps they forgot to schedule that appointment with the rest of the day's showings, or they got tied up with an offer or other clients, and suddenly the morning was gone. OOPS! But those buyers are still expecting that showing today! Not the buyers fault, and you certainly don't want to miss out on them.
- The agent and client were out until after normal working hours the day before showing homes and it was too late to call the Showing Center or listing agent. Now the buyer's agent has a NEW list of 10 homes to show, and can't do anything but try to get them all arranged first thing the next morning! Not our preferred way of doing business either, but we've also been there and done that AND sold homes out of that "last minute" stack of showings.
- We'll say this too. Some people are just rude. It is ALL ABOUT THEM! You put your home on the market, DO YOU WANT TO SELL OR NOT??!!! You're at their whim. They want to SEE IT NOW!! They don't want you to have time to prepare the home, they want to see the home As Is. They may even hope to cross paths with you as you leave so they can pump you for information that they can use to run a lower offer at you.
So as you can see, there are quite a few situations that may contribute to fairly short notice showing requests! We know it's a hassle, but whenever possible, you've got to accommodate these requests. Buyers are out there looking. We showed two of our own listings yesterday, one with about an hour and a half of notice, and that one just might have been THE ONE for that home. We'll see :)
So hang in their Patience!!
Serving Warren County's residential real estate needs,
Liz and Bill aka BLiz
Serving Warren County Ohio & Adjacent Areas
The Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite
Elizabeth Spear, ABR, CRS
William (Bill) Spear, CRS
Ask for us by name if you visit the office!
Two locations: Lebanon & Mason, OH
Direct #2: 513-265-3004
Search Homes: Http://WarrenCountyOhioRealEstate.com
Our Website: www.LizTour.com
OUR SERVICE AREA:
View Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite Primary Service Area in a larger map