As real estate agents we often have buyers ask "How much are the utility bills for the home?" when they're getting serious about buying a particular home.
There are two ways to get that information:
1. Ask for it from the sellers
2. Or contact the utility providers to ask for the last 12 months (they'll typically provide an even billing amount)
Obviously there are quite a few factors that can influence a home's utility bills:
- The owners usage: do they keep the thermostat at 68 or 72? Open the windows or fire up the AC and Furnace?
- Was the weather unusually mild or severe in the last 12 months?
- Was the home occupied the entire year?
- Is there an programmable thermostat in use to help save?
- Do the owners have a lot of electronics? Big screen TVs, laptops and the like can use up the juice
- How about a hot tub? Those can be an unpleasant surprise come the first utility bill!
- How energy efficient is the furnace? The AC? The water heater?
- And of course there are the things a good home inspector will be checking: insulation in the attic, crawlspace/basement, windows and doors.
Obviously your mileage may vary significantly can't it?
And there's one other thing that may influence a home's utility costs:
- Are the owners taking advantage of competitive utility rates or just paying the default?
A prudent owner can change electric and gas utility providers to get a better rate, just be wary of promo rates or a new rate after your contract period ends.
To use Ohio's utility comparison website and to change providers, just click on the following two links:
Ohio apples to apples residential electric utility rate comparison
From there, you can compare providers, rate terms, fixed or variable, etc., and then just follow the steps to sign up for a different utility provider.
Need help buying or selling a Warren County area home? Just contact us at 513-520-5305 or Liz@LizSpear.com to discuss how we can help.
Liz and Bill aka BLiz
Serving Warren County Ohio & Adjacent Areas
The Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite
Elizabeth Spear, ABR, CRS, Ohio License SAL.2002007747
William (Bill) Spear, CRS, Ohio License SAL.2004011109 Kentucky 77938
Ask for us by name if you visit the office!
Two locations: Lebanon & Mason, OH
Bill Direct: 513-520-5305
Liz Direct: 513-265-3004
Search Homes: Http://WarrenCountyOhioRealEstate.com
Our Website: www.LizTour.com
OUR SERVICE AREA:
View Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite Primary Service Area in a larger map