Will They Build More Patio Homes In Mason Ohio?
When you're considering downsizing in Mason Ohio, a popular choice is a patio home. However, one of the challenges is a relative scarcity of patio home communities. Since most of the patio home communities are rather small, there may be very few patio homes actually for sale in Mason at a given time. Add in a few other factors such as price, number of bedrooms, garage spaces, location and the selection may get to zero. Finding a Mason patio home for sale for less than $250,000 can be a bit rare.
So obviously there's a need for more patio homes in Mason for those empty nesters ready for the change. However, there is resistance from some of the public to building new patio homes. Perhaps it's due to misconceptions about the demographics and style for patio home communities.
For instance, Gridiron Developers has a proposal to build Vintage Oaks, a 113 patio home community at Socialville Foster & Duke. The proposal still needs zoning approvals and the debate is on.
- What's best use for this land? Office park? Light industrial? Residential?
- What's the impact on traffic?
- Is 113 homes too many for the acreage?
It's interesting to read some of the Facebook comments in the Deerfield Township/Mason group.
- ONLY 10 feet between homes? (Take a look at any patio home community in the area and you'll see this is fairly typical. They're designed for people that want minimal lawns and for ease of upkeep by the HOA management company)
- Traffic will be intense! (Actually keep in mind the primary market is empty nesters, so unlike a typical community where Junior and Jenny have their own cars in addition to mom & dad, you're looking at probably 1-2 cars per home. And many of these folks are retired, so they're either out of town traveling or in sunny climes for the winter, or out and about at times that are non-rush hour. Frankly a lot of the current traffic problems in the area have more to do with people focusing on cell phones, blowing through light signals and making turns without clear line of sight).
- Those old folks will automatically vote NO on the school levies!!! (Perhaps we should evict all the Tea Party members too? The reality is your patio home buyers are just as likely to vote Yes on a levy as anyone else. If the schools are providing value for the tax dollar, they'll get support. And further, we're ONLY talking about 113 homes here. If your levies are so at risk that 113 homes are enough to turn a Yes to a No for overall result, you've already got a bigger problem than just patio home residents).
- We want the land to stay as it is! (Sorry, but that's unrealistic to expect every field to stay a field. If you don't own the property, expect in time it will be developed. You don't get to enjoy the perks of living in a #7 Best Place to Live and then tell everyone else to go away. The "I got mine" mentality on display isn't pretty at all.)
Fact is if you take a drive through Mason's existing patio home communities what you'll find are VERY NICE homes. Vintage Oaks will be in the $300-400k range. Gridiron built The Woods on Wilkens attached condo complex and right now is building attached ranch condos in Lakeside Cove at Hunter's Green. Gridiron provides high quality homes for those who no longer want your typical two story 4-5 bedroom home.
Considering how often we have buyers interested in Mason patio homes and don't have anything to offer them, we think Vintage Oaks will be a welcome addition to the Mason community once the area residents better understand what the true impact of Vintage Oaks will be (and won't be). At 113, this would be Mason's largest patio home community and despite that high number, we'd expect this community to move to completion quickly once approvals are granted (assuming they are). We'll be watching to see what happens next!
Need help deciding your housing options? We can help, both in selling your existing home and choosing your next living option. Just give us a call at 513-520-5305 or email Liz@LizSpear.com.
Serving Mason Ohio home buyers and sellers,
Liz and Bill aka BLiz
REALTORS(S) Serving Warren County Ohio & Adjacent Areas
The Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite
Elizabeth & William Spear
Ask for us by name if you visit the office!
Two locations: Lebanon & Mason, OH
Direct #2: 513-265-3004
Our Website: www.LizTour.com
OUR SERVICE AREA:
View Liz Spear Team of RE/MAX Elite Primary Service Area in a larger map